Volunteer Stream Monitoring
Citizens’ groups from throughout Wisconsin are using Water Action Volunteers' sampling protocols to monitor the health oftheir hometown streams and rivers. Entry level volunteers monitor dissolved oxygen, temperature, transparency, streamflow, habitat, and macroinvertebrates between May and October. There are several program goals:
- that Wisconsin citizens will monitor stream and river health.
- to support data sharing for educational purposes.
- to provide a network for volunteer groups, individuals, and schools to interact.
- to provide support for civic conservation and environmental groups.
- to help increase linkages between volunteer monitoring efforts and public resources protection programs.
A brochure has been developed that helps explain the WAV stream monitoring program, the parameters that are monitored by volunteers, and how you can get involved. View brochure >>
© 2007 by the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System, UW-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX requirements. UW-Extension programs are open to all persons without regard to race, color, ethnic background, or economic circumstances. All rights reserved.
Citizen Water Monitoring l UWEX Water Resources Program l Wisconsin DNR | Citizen Monitoring | Contact | WAV Home